• The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:18-19).
  • Saturday 20 April 2013

    ANOINTING & SPIRITUAL REVELATION

    ANOINTING & SPIRITUAL REVELATION

     joyalministries

    Anointing and Revelation; greatly misunderstood yet greatly needed


    "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of livingwater." John 7:38

    "...When He, the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, has come, HE will guide you into ALL truth; for He will not speak on His own authority but whatever He hears He will speak; and HE WILL TELL YOU THINGS TO COME. HE WILL GLORIFY ME! FOR HE WILL TAKE OF WHAT IS MINE AND DECLARE IT TO YOU! All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that HE WILL TAKE OF MINE AND DECLARE IT TO YOU!
    John 16:13-15



    “But you have an Anointing from the Holy One
    and you know all things......
    But the Anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same Anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.
    (1 John 2:20, 27)

    "But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him." But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God." (1 Cor. 2:9-12)

    “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. (2 Cor. 4:7)

    Jesus promised us that He would not leave us as orphans, but that He would come to us, and reveal Himself to us and in us. Those who seek Jesus and abide in Him and worship Him in Spirit and in truth, experience His awesome, transforming Presence in their lives. Mature believers can testify that our walk with Jesus is truly supernatural. Our relationship with Jesus transcends this world, just as His word promises. The Lord desires to reveal Himself (in ever increasing depth) to us and in us. This is the most vital prophetic revelation that we share with the true body, for Jesus is our bond and our fellowship, anything less is Spirit-less and pointless- merely dead religion. Truly knowing Jesus is not something that we merely learn by studying a book (there are millions that "know all about" Jesus), though knowing and abiding IN God's Word is absolutely vital but the Word MUST be mixed with trusting Faith IN Jesus and what He has spoken to our hearts! It is only as we seek Him and abandon ourselves to Him, that He reveals Himself to us and we then know the witness of the Holy Ghost who cries out from within us: "Abba Father; Jesus, I need you, Jesus I love you, I am yours and you are mine."

    His real remnant church (scattered accross the globe) today is still experiencing His loving, powerful presence, as each true follower has since the day of Pentecost. Today however, most of the church of Jesus Christ is ostensibly, a sleeping giant that is just barely beginning to wiggle a few fingers. The name of Jesus is being used much more than He is being glorified. Evangelical Christianity has payed homage to the gospel but continues on (for the most part) without alot of the power that comes from knowing the deeper revelations of the Word of God and from having the “enduement from on high;” the baptism in His Holy Spirit. Jesus said that “....the true worshipers shall worship the Father in Spirit and truth: for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is Spirit; and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and truth.“ (John 4:23,24) Massive compromise and idolatry is rampant in the church today instead of sincerity, purity and OBEDIENCE. I don’t know about you but I can’t stomach spiritless, half-baked, going-through-the-motions Christianity, I want what many others are desperate for... I only want Jesus! We all need the real Jesus and His resurrection power!

    The only possible way to be a fulfilled and empowered Christian, is to be filled with His power as He promised us in Acts 1:8: “But ye shall receive power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you.” The baptism in the Holy Spirit, fills the new wine skin (container)in us with His power and presence. The “anointing,” is the ongoing overflow and joyous bubbling that takes place afterward, upon and from within our vessels as we trust, seek and abide in Jesus. The anointing, is simply Jesus’ mighty presence being made manifest to, in and over the believer for His purpose and service. The Lord promised that "he who believes in Me, as the scripture has said, out of his belly (heart) WILL FLOW RIVERS OF LIVING WATER!" (John 7:38).

    Jesus wants to live in us spiritually in the same way that He dwelt over the Ark of the Covenant! His Spirit is the new wine that at times, will practically intoxicate His children with His glorious presence. “Be not drunk with wine but be filled with the Spirit.” His anointing enables us to do His will, serve Him and know His will (led by the Spirit), for any service outside of the anointing of the Holy Ghost is worthless for His Kingdom! It is also His anointing that enables us to abide in Jesus and to walk in the Spirit as they are one in the same. The Anointing is the Lord's fresh touch in us and upon us, which is vital for us everyday and causes us to abide in Jesus and be of service to Him. Jesus has made it so in order that we know that we MUST depend only on HIM and not on ourselves. We all need His FRESH ANOINTING and direction every day! His Anointing is our daily Direction and our Strength!

    We must throw open the temple door of our hearts to Him everyday if we are going to have intimate fellowship with Him; “Behold I stand at the door and knock, If anyone hears my voice I will come into [them] and feast with [them]” Rev. 3:20. We must open our inner temple doors for Him; the inner chambers of our temples, His Holy of Holies within us, when Jesus is calling us to DAILY worship and spiritual intimacy with Him. By the same simple, child-like act of faith, (which occurs when we worship, praise and love Him) we will know His presence. "IF ANYONE THIRSTS, LET HIM COME TO ME AND DRINK" (John 7:37). His love, joy and peace then begins to well up inside of us. This is His 'blessed assurance' that bubbles up from within us, telling us that we are His. This is the 'oil of gladness' that He continually pours out from within and upon us, if our hearts are right before Him and we are seeking Him- the 'Balm of Gilead'. This is the oil mentioned in Matt. 25 that every bride needs to have in their lamps while awaiting the arrival of the Bridegroom! This is His anointing. The anointing, which falls upon His children, that glory in His presence.

    During my prayer, worship and ministry, there are times when I sense a physical warmth in my belly and over my shoulders that courses through my body like little “charges” of what feels like electrical energy. It is spontaneous and not sought after, it sure seems to me like a physical manifestation of the living water that Jesus promised us. (I sense this alot as I write) At other times, I may sense this same thing that comes in waves over my shoulders and chest with a deep warmth, which is reminiscent of having a warm comforter of covering put over me. Jesus is our Covering and His promised Holy Ghost IS our Comforter! I neither seek this sensation nor imagine it, it just happens at times when I’m in deep worship, study, writing, ministering to someone or singing before a congregation. God's beautiful touch is unmistakable! This could just be an emotional reaction but I sense that the Source is Someone much deeper and profound, as the physical manifestation is just a by-product of a deeper, inner work.

    We need to be constantly refilled and touched by Jesus and he does this through His own generous outpouring--His ANOINTING! His anointing is something that we can often sense- His assurance that He is with us, otherwise we would never know when to minister with and IN His power (I wouldn't know what to write). His anointing, is also His blessed assurance within us that Jesus is ours! It can also be said that the anointing is the continuation or on-going of Jesus’ Baptism within us. The Baptism in the Holy Ghost is meant to be an ongoing event in our lives. The Baptism is never supposed to be an end in itself, or a final achievement. The Lord’s provision (His Anointing) for us is the ongoing means by which He operates through us as we desire to be fully dependent upon Him and His power- NOT on our own strength or abilities.

    Charles Finney simply said that every believer needed “new baptisms” in the Holy Spirit to grow into higher places in Christ and see souls won to Jesus. This was prophesied in Joel 2:23. Jesus, spoke it best when He said; “He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of His belly shall flow rivers of living water. But this He spake of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.” John 7:38, 39. This is the treasure that Paul speaks of in 2nd Corinthians. We are the vessels that He has chosen to be filled with His presence and to preach the gospel to a world that largely rejects us and the treasure that has been revealed within us. We are imperfect (earthen) vessels- vessels that constantly (are supposed to) leak and are poured out for His purposes, needing constantly to be refilled. We must be refilled, especially after being used in His service. That is why we are commanded to "wait upon the Lord" for HIS Strength and to “be filled (perpetually) with the Spirit.” It is meant as a command, to be an ongoing event. Being filled in this way, is the most deeply joyous experience and privilege I have ever had. I long for His daily touch and filling and love to come into His Presence, JUST AS THE PSALMISTS HAVE WRITTEN! The only way that I can continue to be filled with His glorious presence, is to submit every chamber of my heart and temple to Him. There can be no filling when there are “back rooms” within us that are filthy and that have resisted the Holy Spirit (strongholds of sin or disobedience)! We cannot have a greater infilling when we insist upon limiting His access to areas of our lives. We cannot have more and more of Him, until He has all of us! It is only after the ongoing crucifixion of self that we can then be truly filled. I get in trouble when I allow some sin to overtake me and I forego seeking Him immediately about it.

    When I put off going to Him, I am at a place where I suffer a deficit in some way (lack of peace or aggravation). In my walk with Jesus, I have entered a very intense time of “chaff burning.” The fire of the Holy Spirit is bringing absolutely everything to a head in my life. My prayer/study/worship times have been intense, wonderful and desperate for God. He never ceases to meet with me in a powerful and overwhelming way and yet my weaknesses have also been brought to a heightened state and He has put me in situations that test my faith and patience greatly. Praise God, He is always waiting and eager to accept my repentance and subsequent worship and then refill me with praise and adoration for Him that always breaks the yoke of my daily pressures and blesses me with His awesome presence as I seek Him. “His yoke is easy and His burden is light.” Praise God! I am coming out of this “wilderness” experience with His anointing and power. “For if I had never had a problem I’d never know that He could solve them, I’d never know what faith in God could do!” It is also this brokenness and openness that God can and will use in a person. “God’s strength shows up BEST in WEAK people.” I admit my weaknesses so that He may deal supernaturally with me and use me for His glory! Pour it on me Jesus! I have been “wired” in such a way that I cannot handle every day life, without His supernatural presence and strength! I have come to that conclusion with deep joy, knowing that I must trust Him in absolutely all things! Let’s face it, when we are not in the Spirit, we are “in the flesh.” I can’t afford to be out of His Spirit and presence for a minute, let alone a day or two! He wants us to learn that we can do all of our daily tasks, through His anointing, no matter how trivial. He wants to be intimately involved in our every day lives through His anointing. “I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me.” I realize that in “the world,” and in worldly people, this kind of openness is shunned and can be used against us. I don’t care what the world or worldly people think! I want Jesus more than anything this world can offer me or how much this confession of Faith may offend others!

    We are earthen vessels that are constantly poured out for His purpose. The only effective ministry that we can have, is under the guidance and outpouring of God’s Holy Spirit. Jesus greatly stressed the importance and role of the Holy Spirit in our lives. He said; “...it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.” (Jn 16:7) We see in the book of Acts, what an awesome and astounding impact the Holy Spirit’s advent had on the new church. Jesus promised power, comfort and guidance, and He provided all of the above, when He sent us His Holy Spirit.

    There is an awesome word in the Greek that means: the “anointing of the Holy Spirit.” That word is; “Chrisma”. “Chrisma,” appears in two places, and in one of my favorite books in the bible; 1 John. From my conversion in my teens, these verses were special to me and I marked them up early on, even before I knew what the baptism in the Holy Spirit was. “But ye have received an unction (Chrisma) from the Holy one, and ye know all things.” (1 Jn 2:20) “But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is the truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.” (1 Jn 2:27) I know why these verses were and still are of very deep and special meaning to me. I, like many others, am receiving more and more of what He longs to give to everyone! The Apostle Paul best explains what God longs to give everyone; “..the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto (me) the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, in the knowledge of Him. The eyes of (my) understanding being enlightened; that (I) may know what is the hope of His calling and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints. And what is the exceeding greatness of His power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of His mighty power.” (Eph. 1:17-19) There is only one way to receive this continuing deep revelation of Jesus, and serve Him, that is through His “anointing” (Chrisma). The gift of His Holy Spirit and greater revelation does not come by seeking them, but rather by seeking Jesus, which is what Jesus meant when He said, "SEEK YE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, AND ALL THESE THINGS SHALL BE ADDED UNTO YOU!" (Matt. 6:33). I praise God that He is revealing the deep meaning of these verses to me, that He, “hide(s) these things from the wise and intelligent and didst reveal them to babes,” like me. “Boasting is necessary, though not profitable, but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.” (2 Cor. 12:1) Anointing and revelation go hand in hand, for it is only under the power of the anointing of the Holy Ghost that we can learn and understand the deep things of God.

    (In these last days many have sought to franchise and resell the gifts of the Holy Ghost for their own selfish purposes. This is not possible, so they hawk a counterfeit. They persist like Simon the Magician in idolizing and lusting after God's power, (power and supernatural manifestations = $$$, even if they're phony) instead of seeking Jesus and His righteousness. Thus, an evil Pentecostal counterfeit has arisen that is chock full of worldly manipulation and high octane showmanship, that IS NOT OF GOD. They worship and run after "signs and wonders," when Jesus warned us of those in the last days who would do exactly that. Most of what calls itself Charismatic or Pentecostal these days is a slick counterfeit. BEWARE, and seek God for discernment. The "Word of Faith" Movement is particularly errant and dangerous! Miracles are still possible but don't seek out grandstanding charlatans- seek Jesus).

    Personal revelation is a rather sticky subject with many Christians. There are many brothers and sisters that I know and love that if I talk to them in Spirit and faith- speaking with some of the authority that I have in Christ, they tend to glaze over into that: “who does He think He is?” ---deer in the headlights look. There are so many “Christians” that think you’re crazy if you proclaim; “whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.” (Matt.21:22) (No I am NOT advocating the "Name-it-and-claim-it," occult perversion of God's Word.) They don’t know who they are, or what if any authority, they have in Christ and get offended when someone that they don't officially recognize, begins to speak the Word in authentic profession of Faith. (I have come to the painful conclusion that though many pay lip service to Jesus, and "believe" to some degree, many of them really don't know Jesus at all). We are clearly told to “ask and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” (John 17:24) Most importantly; “If ye abide in me and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will and it shall be done unto you.” (John 15:7) Many deny the fact that Jesus is the one who teaches us to pray and even proclaim in faith (not to be confused with “name it and claim it” theology who focus on "faith" as a power in itself and thereby idolize it). Now, I do most certainly believe in praying only the will of God and that is why I don’t intercede for someone until I have been led by the Spirit of God, (our anointing, our leader and comforter) what to pray and believe God for (most of the time it is instantaneous). Remarkably, the Holy Ghost will usually spontaneously move me to pray a certain way, but never wishy-washy, shallow or double-minded. He will move me deeply and without hesitation and I know that He is leading. He inspires me to write both songs and messages and poems in exactly the same way, it is always a pouring out of love and adoration to Him. We are all worthless for God’s service without His anointing, leadership and inspiration and I really bless His Holy name for that!!
    ....“Let him who is thirsty come and whosoever will, let him take of the water of life.” (Rev. 22:17) This is the invitation that He extends to everyone that thirsts for Him and His mighty presence! His anointing is necessary for service, for every Christian!

    Christians who do not fully know or handle the Word of God are greatly hamstrung in their ability to pray in faith for anyone or anything! They may be the same ones that practically persecute others for “flaunting” their faith, or referring to scripture. There is much envy in this type of “Christian.” They know in their spirit man that someone else has something special from God. But instead of going to the well themselves, they prefer to ridicule old “so and so” as being some kind of freak or fanatic! I believe strongly that these “Christians” are described by Paul as “ having a form of Godliness but denying the power thereof. “ (2 Tim. 3:5) Paul told us to “stay away from such”, “always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” (2 Tim. 3:7) Why is it that they can’t “move on” into the deeper knowledge and power of the gospel? It is because they’ve gone as far as their minds, will allow them to go, as they are still in control of their own lives, not Christ. Fear and pride, bind such a person from experiencing God’s heavenly gifts. It is not primarily through the mind that we know Jesus.

    “For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man, which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to Him, and He cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. (discerned) But He who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no man. For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ. ( 1 Cor. 2: 10-16)

    Does God continue to reveal Himself and His plans to His children? He most certainly does! He continues to reveal His deepest secrets to us. The word of God is just so many words, without the revelation that is provided by His Holy Spirit! You cannot unlock the deep meaning of God’s word without possessing the key of the Holy Spirit. Paul said; “and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.” (1 Cor. 2:4,5)

    When God divinely reveals something to the spirit of a man by the Holy Spirit, this is also known as receiving Rheama (Gr. Strong’s; 4487, “an utterance”), or revealed word. I believe that it is a derivative of the Hebrew word; “ra’mah”, (Heb.7215, for something high in value, ie: coral, “Pearl of great Price,” great jewel). This word; “ra’mah,” comes from the word “ra’am”, which means” to rise or be lifted up.” As His treasure is revealed in us, it rises up and flows out like a river of living water and lifts up the Lord within us (revelation of Jesus within us). This is the personally revealed (treasure) word of God within us that happens only through His anointing (constant abiding in Jesus through His Holy Ghost). This revealed word, (or deeper meaning) must always “line up” and be confirmed by God’s Word. Other Spirit filled persons with discernment, will either confirm that revelation or may not be able to confirm it as being from God. A Spirit filled person should always be open to reproof and instruction (2 Tim.4:2) “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the Sons of God.” (Rom. 8:14)

    “The Secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever.” (De.29:29)

    There are many in ministry today that can’t even begin to understand the deeper revelations of the word because their oil lamp is dry. They study the word as though it was only a stagnant, historical document, thereby denying the power of God’s word and the fact that it is ALIVE: “The word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

    The greatest personal revelation of scripture that I have had is found in Daniel the 10th chapter. I believe with all my spirit and soul that Daniel had an encounter with our Lord Jesus, who appeared to Daniel in the form of the
    Angel of the Lord (a preincarnate theophany). The revelation of the person of Jesus in the Old Testament is vital identification as exactly Who Jesus is. Jesus is not simply a “creation” of the Father, but rather a part of the Father (“I and the Father are One”). As the Preincarnate Christ, Jesus appeared on many occasions as the Angel of the Lord. God called Him “the Angel in Whom My name is.” I have believed this doctrine for some time but just recently had it confirmed in a sermon that I found of D.L. Moody about Daniel and by many other scholars.

    “I lifted my eyes and looked, and behold, there was a certain man dressed in linen, whose waist was girded with a belt of pure gold of Uphaz. 6. His body also was like beryl, His face had the appearance of lightning, His eyes were like flaming torches, His arms and feet like the gleam of polished bronze, (as if burnished in a fiery furnace?) and the sound of His words like the sound of a tumult. 7. Now I, Daniel alone saw the vision, while the men who were with me did not see the vision; nevertheless, a great dread fell on them, and they ran away to hide themselves. 8. So I was left alone and saw this great vision; yet no strength was left in me, for my natural color turned to a deathly pallor, and yet I retained no strength. (no flesh may stand in His presence) 9. But I heard the sound of His words; and as soon as I heard the sound of His words, I fell into a deep sleep on my face, with my face to the ground. (slain in His presence) 10. Then behold, a hand touched me (His anointing) and set me trembling on my hands and knees. 11. And He said to me, “O Daniel, man of high esteem, understand the words that I am about to tell you and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you.” And when He had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling. 12. Then He said to me,” Do not be afraid, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart on understanding this and on humbling yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to your words.”

    The description of this “certain man” in verses 5 and 6, are almost identical to the description of the glorified, revealed Christ in Revelation, the first chapter. This “certain man,” is not just another angel, this is Jesus! Daniel’s meeting with the angel Gabriel in a prior chapter was exciting but this “certain man’s” presence, seems to almost slay Daniel-- he can’t even stand in His presence without His assistance! His arrival certainly made the other men run off in fear and they didn’t even see Him. We’re talking about the power and presence of God’s Anointed One. This “certain man,” came to deliver a very important understanding to Daniel about “what will happen to your people in the latter days, (the Jews) “for the vision pertains to the days yet future.” (70 weeks prophecy, that deals with the Jewish people, there is yet one week; 7 years of Jacob’s trouble, that is yet to be fulfilled! The tribulation)

    “15; And when He had spoken to me according to these words, I turned my face toward the ground and became speechless. 16. And behold, one who resembled a human being was touching my lips; then I opened my mouth and spoke, and said to Him who was standing before me, “O my Lord, as a result of the vision anguish has come upon me, and I have retained no strength. 17. “For how can such a servant of my Lord talk with such as my Lord? As for me, there remains just now no strength in me, nor has any breath been left in me.” 18. Then this one with human appearance touched me again and strengthened me. 19. And He said, “O man of high esteem, do not be afraid. Peace be with you; take courage and be courageous! “Now as soon as He spoke to me, I received strength and said, “may my Lord speak, for you have strengthened me.”

    Can there be any doubt that Daniel was standing in the presence of our Lord? (v.16,19) Another important source that later confirmed this for me, is Matthew Henry’s commentary in which he says; “Christ appeared to Daniel in a glorious form, and it should engage us to think highly and honorably of him.” I have believed this for several years but only recently, have I learned of the formal truth about “theophanies,” which I explored extensively in prior chapters. As explained in a previous chapter, a theophany is a preincarnate appearance of Jesus, in the Old Testament. I learned more about this through the scholarly writings of Dr. John F. Woolvoord, the former president of Dallas Theological Seminary. Dr. Woolvord describes Daniel’s theophany of Christ as a revelation of the very glory of God- that Jesus appears as a giant shiny jewel to Daniel! Dr. Woolvoord also believes that the Preincanate Christ revealed Himself in the fiery furnace with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. Our Lord appears personally, to minister compassion, peace, comfort and courage to Daniel. It was through Daniel that God would reveal His overall plan of salvation for the Jews and their ultimate restoration in the latter days. God didn’t personally reveal Himself to just any-ol’-body in those Old Testament days! The men that were with Daniel, ran for their lives and they hadn’t even seen the Lord but His mere Presence incited holy fear in them! The “Angel,” calls Daniel; greatly esteemed and yet Daniel nearly melts in the presence of the living God.

    We see here that as the anointing fell, (His presence--- prior to His physical appearance) others could sense something powerful but just ran off in fear. The Lord continued to touch (anoint) Daniel, so that He would retain strength enough just to stand in His presence and receive the “understanding,” which He had come to impart to Daniel. All true spiritual insight and revelation of God’s Word, and/or prophecy, comes only through His “anointing.” That is, His smearing, rubbing and pouring out of His precious Holy Spirit upon our flesh. It is almost as if we are a canvas on and in whom the Lord paints with His Holy Spirit!

    There are very significant and numerous occasions of God’s anointing and revelation in the Old Testament. God’s anointing, is an extremely important biblical theme that particularly applies to leadership and sanctification in the O.T. In the O.T., it was imparted physically, by priests who would anoint the person or object with holy (consecrated) oil. However, one of the most powerful anointings in the O.T. is the double anointing which was imparted by God upon Elisha, without priestly oil- a double portion of Elijah’s powerful anointing to serve God! This was a foreshadowing of the ultimate anointing in the Holy Ghost from Jesus. We still use some of the same methods of the O.T. by imparting the anointing on people or places by the laying on of hands or anointing with oil and prayers of anointed servants. Since the day of Pentecost however, the anointing of the Holy Spirit falls at the Lord’s will, at any time on any believer that He chooses. Jesus anoints whomever He has chosen to use or bless, at any given time. The choice is most certainly affected by fervent prayer, obedience, sanctification and readiness of the available vessel (one who abides in Christ). He often uses those that we may esteem “less worthy” (not rich, not pretty). He does this to confound our way of thinking and to “bestow more abundant honor.... For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked.” (1Cor. 12:23,24)

    Kings and Priests in the O.T., were chosen and anointed for their special positions of leadership and worship. Initially, Moses anointed the temple priests and the vessels and also anointed the tabernacle and the altar when it was consecrated to the Lord in Le. 8: 10-12 and Nu. 7:1. In 1Sam. 10:1. Samuel anointed David as King by pouring oil over his head and it says that“the Spirit of the Lord was on him from that day forth” 1Sam. 16:13. So even in the O.T., the physical act of pouring anointing oil, was also a spiritual impartation! Scripture makes it very clear that God protects His anointed (1Sam. 24:10, 26:9, 26:11, 26:23). God makes it very clear not to “touch God’s anointed,” in 2Sam. 1:4,16. There is also clear precedence for receiving a double anointing from God, as David was also anointed by the people of Israel, in 2Sam. 2:4. The Philistines were angry, that David was anointed King of Israel in 2Sam. 5:17. (Even enemies have an awesome respect and fear of God’s anointed!) Elisha also requested and received a double anointing of what Elijah had, after receiving Elijah’s mantle and persevering for it. We are clearly not to covet or be jealous of others spiritual gifts but like Elisha, we are to long for God’s anointing so that we may be of greater service to God!

    It’s of extreme importance to note that the root word for Messiah, (Mashach) means: anointing; to rub with oil, to anoint or consecrate. Jesus, our anointed Holy Lord, is the ultimate Anointed One- Moshiach, (Messiah) means: anointed Messiah, Saint, and High Priest!!! God’s ultimate warning about His anointed, is; “Do not touch my anointed ones and do my prophets no harm.” (1Chron.16:22) “Christ” means anointed one. Christians are His anointed ones as well. If you are truly His, He will anoint you to serve Him!

    Is it possible for things as well as people to be “anointed” by God’s presence? I believe that if it was possible to anoint the vessels of worship in the tabernacle, certainly what we ask God to bless, He will surely bless and He definitely longs to pour out His anointing upon us, His tabernacles. The “anointing” and the Baptism can both be imparted by the laying on of hands, as foreshadowed in the O.T. and happened in the new. Paul would even send anointed items like prayer cloths from which the anointing would be imparted (Acts 19:12). Is it possible for a song or a message to be “anointed”? When the Holy Ghost moves within you and your heart is blessed or convicted, you have been touched by His anointing. It becomes impossible at that point to credit anyone else, except Jesus and His wonderful Holy Spirit! To discredit Him or the Holy Spirit is dangerous indeed! “Quench not the Spirit! Despise not prophesyings!” (1Thess.5:19,20)
    The baptism in the Holy Ghost is most definitely the birthing place of power for the believer to be of any service to God. Jesus’ baptism is that major, initial “washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost” (Titus 3:5) In the baptism, we have our earthen vessels immersed in the glory of the new wine for the first time. We may have been breathed upon, as were the disciples prior to Pentecost, but the baptism in the Holy Ghost is a life changing event. Yes, you may even speak in tongues, you may even prophesy! You will have a fresh love for Jesus and a deep desire to spend time with Him and His word. His word will be more alive than ever. You will know that you’ll never be the same again. Jesus said: “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you; and ye shall be witnesses unto me ....” (Acts 1:8). Don’t limit God or the way in which He can manifest Himself in your life! Abiding in His glorious presence is God’s will and desire for all believers. His baptism is the ongoing experience that will change you forever! If your desire is to be as close to Jesus as you can be and empowered for His service, then the Baptism in the Holy Ghost is the big plunge that you need! He is not meant to be just another notch in your spiritual post. A fresh baptism is a beautiful starting point for the deepest possible walk and service to Jesus! Again, whenever someone is truly born again, that person receives the Spirit and may also receive the fullness of the baptism right then but usually, there is a necessary period of sanctification and waiting on God before a new Christian is ready to receive the Baptism. Most certainly, God can do this all at once if that person has completely repented of sin and is immediately desiring of the most intimate relationship with Jesus. Though I was born again, it took me 15 years before I wanted and was able to receive a greater baptism in the Holy Ghost. Again, when we are truly born again, we receive the Holy Ghost but it is when fully surrender more of ourselves to Jesus, that He can flood our temples with His presence.

    The “anointing” is the ongoing filling and overflow of His Spirit, for the purpose of bringing conviction, revelation and worship and more specific acts and ministries of the Spirit, through us. In Acts we see how the Spirit would “fall” upon whole crowds of people as the Apostles and others spoke and were also spontaneously lead to proclaim healing and various other miracles. “While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word ...On the gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.” (Acts 10:44,45) It was then, after Pentecost, that they had extreme boldness to heal and to baptize and win the lost, and it was not due to their persuasion or fancy talk. It was the “anointing” of the Holy Ghost!!!

    “....And grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word, by stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.” (Acts 4:29-31)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment